David Starr Jordan was appointed President in March, 1891, and by June his first faculty—17 men of youth and scholarly promise—had accepted appointments. Jordan sought professors who combined abilities for teaching and for research. The first class of 465 students was double the expectations, and 29 professors were added the second year. The Professoriate grew to nearly 300 by 1946, and in the postwar years moved ahead rapidly to its present level of about 2,210.
The Articles of Organization of the Faculty were adopted by the Board of Trustees in 1904. These articles created the Academic Council, composed of assistant, associate, and full professors, to give the faculty a formal voice in University governance for the first time.
The Articles of Organization made clear the role of the Academic Council in curricular and academic matters and established the Academic Council’s Executive Committee, Advisory Board, and standing committees.
The structure remained essentially unchanged until 1968 when the Senate of the Academic Council replaced the Executive Committee, following approval by the Academic Council and the Board of Trustees. The Senate has since recommended a number of faculty policies, which have been approved by the Academic Council and the Board of Trustees. They are so noted throughout this handbook.